Design and analysis of deep excavation geotechnical engineeringSolution.pdf
At the end of the project a student should be able to:
• Design and analyse deep excavations to Eurocode 7.
• Use numerical analysis tools exemplified by OptumG2.
• Present your work (calculations and text) in report format to a professional standard.
COURSEWORK BRIEFING SHEET
Background This coursework involves the analysis and design of a propped excavation in a sandy soil as shown in Figure 1. The excavation is 12 m deep and 15 m wide and is supported by steel sheet piles. The embedment depth is 4 m. The walls are connected by props with a spacing of 5m at the ground level. On the left side of the excavation a surcharge of 20 kN/m2 (permanent) applies.
Figure 1: Propped excavation.
φk (°) φd (°) γ (kN/m3) E (MPa) ν ψk (°) K0 37 31 18 40 0.2 7 0.4
Design parameters are to be used for ULS analyses while characteristic parameters are to be used for SLS analyses.
Question 1 [10/100] Sketch the earth pressure distributions corresponding to “free earth support” conditions at the front and back of the left wall (with maximum values indicated). The earth pressure coefficients are to be determined from the diagrams or tables in Appendix 1.
Question 2 [20/100] Assuming that the wall strength is sufficient, show that the prop strength is sufficient. Hint: use horizontal equilibrium to show that the necessary prop force is less than the maximum one.
Question 3 [20/100] Assuming that the wall strength is sufficient, show that the embedment depth is sufficient. Hint: use moment equilibrium about the top of the wall to show that an external moment with the appropriate sign is necessary to bring the wall to failure.
Question 4 [25/100] Using OptumG2, determine the minimum allowable wall strength assuming ULS conditions.
Question 5 [25/100] Using an AZ 25-800 steel sheet pile profile (see specifications below), perform an excavation analysis to determine the maximum deflection of the left wall. The walls and the props can be wished in place and the surcharge acts from the beginning. Use 2 m excavation steps and plot the maximum deflection of the left wall as function of excavation depth. The stiffness of the props can be set to EA = 420,000 kN. Figure 2: AZ 25-800 steel sheet pile profile.
You are to submit a report in PDF format. The report must be of a professional standard. All assumptions, results, etc should follow from the report. Results without proper documentation will be ignored.
Appendix 1: Earth pressure coefficients
The active and passive earth pressure coefficients are given in the diagrams and tables below and function of the friction angle, f, and the soil-wall interface roughness, d/f.
Tired of the boring assignments to be submitted to colleges and universities? MyAssignmentMart.com gives you multiple reasons to trust it with your orders. We employ PhD experts handpicked from prestigious universities over the globe. We cater to quality assignment help, dissertation writing services and online essay help, covering more than 100 academic subjects. We pledge to complete your assignments on time and never compromise when it comes to deadline. Our prices for assignments are the most competitive in the market and make sure the cost suits your budget.
Get Assignment Help Now...!
Subjects We Offer
- Engineering Assignment Help
- MATLAB Assignment Help
- Mechanical Engineering Assignment Help
- Civil Engineering Assignment Help
- Computer Science Assignment Help
- Electrical Engineering Assignment Help
- Electronics Assignment Help
- Economics Assignment Help
- Management Assignment Help
- Do My Assignment
- Cheap Assignment Help
- Programming Assignment Help
- Law Assignment Help
- Assignment Provider
- Finance Assignment Help
- Python Assignment help
- Healthcare Management Assignment Help
- Computer Network Assignment Help
- History Assignment Help
- Industrial Engineering Homework Help
- IT Management Assignment Help
- Nursing Assignment Help
- Operating System Assignment Help
- Statistics Assignment Help
- Material Science Assignment Help
- Mechanical Engineering Homework Help
- University Assignment Help
- Agriculture Engineering Homework Help
- ATHE Courses Assignment Help
- Capital Budgeting Assignment Help
- BTEC Assignment Help
- HND Assignment Help
- Material Science Assignment Help
- Psychology Assignment Help
- Resit Assignment Help
- Computer Architecture Assignment Help
- Data Structure Assignment Help
- Database Assignment Help
- PHP Assignment Help