MP4701 DESIGN AND OPERATION OF SUSTAINABLE SYSTEMSolution.pdf
1. The assignment should be your own original work and should be properly type-written in
your own words. It will be checked for plagiarism using Turnitin. Any plagiarism or
copying from others will be dealt with through the university’s plagiarism procedures.
Similarity (plagiarism) level higher than 10% is highly suspicious.
2. The whole report should be 1500 words plus any relevant material. Any references to
materials should be given in standard Harvard or Vancouver form.
3. Your assignment must be submitted electronically via blackboard by the submission time
or before. The report should be contained in a Word document or pdf document. No other
means of submission will be accepted.
4. Drawings can be done by hand or electronically. They can either be scanned / copied into
your Word or pdf document.
5. Any assignment submitted late, but within 5 working days of the deadline, will be given a
maximum mark of 50%. Assignments submitted more than 5 working days after the
deadline will not be marked, and a mark of 0% will be recorded.
6. Students with special needs will be addressed on individual basis.
(Candidates that may require any special requirement will be dealt with on a one-on-one
basis which must be discussed with the module tutor/lead before the due date).
Learning Outcome to be assessed:
This assignment is structured that students show evidence for partial fulfilment of the following
module learning outcomes
1. Understand current development of reliability and condition monitoring methods.
2. Perform qualitative and quantitative analysis on mechanical systems.
3. Design a complete conditioning monitoring system for a machine using ISO
standards. 4. Design of complete structural health monitoring system using SAE/ ISO standards.
5. Analyse a design for its reliability and maintainability using ISO standard techniques.
Page 2 of 6
2019/2020 MODULE CODE: MP 4701
DESIGN AND OPERATION OF SUSTAINABLE SYSTEMS
REG / ID NUMBER:
By submitting electronically, I confirm that this piece of submitted work is all my own work
(unless indicated otherwise within the assignment) and that all references and quotations from
both primary and secondary sources have been fully identified and properly acknowledged in
the body of the writing, with full references at the end.
Page 3 of 6
Ford Motors is planning to introduce a new model to address urban transportation challenge by
investing in the emerging mobility service with the generation of cleaner vehicles and
sustainable urban logistics. You have been asked to design the bearing for the rear wheels and
the suspension system of the New Ford Tourneo Connect.
There is a trade-off with the size of the bearing, the size should be big enough to last 20 years
and small enough to reduce the frictional power losses.
This is an open assignment, the result and viability of the bearings is not known.
? To design and select materials for a reliable shaft/bearing assembly that can be used for the
above mechanical structure and minimises friction, wear and maintenance.
? To propose a monitoring system (sensory- actuation system) that can be used to monitor
system operational condition and prevent system/ sub-systems failure.
You have been asked as an engineer in the ‘Ford Motors’ company to design the bearing for
the rear wheel, suspension system and to propose a monitoring system for the above prototype.
Page 4 of 6
The design process should take into consideration the main dimensions of the mechanical
structure and materials of the shaft and bearings. You will need to estimate the size and weight
of the rear wheel and to make realistic assumptions about the driving speed and suspension
system. You will need to make realistic assumptions about the operating conditions of the
bearings. Use bearing theory to select the materials for the journal bearings so they will wear
no more than 2 mm during normal daily operation for 20 years when maintenance would be
Provide a detailed, professional report that contains the following items mentioned below:
1. Review the motor vehicle industry development, summarise the reliability methodologies
development and condition monitoring techniques in the motor vehicle industry.
Hint1: You need to read papers/journals/reports to perform this literature review part.
2. Look thought different online resources to find failure data for various components of the
Ford motor engine, and construct a reliability block diagram (RBD) analysis for the motor
engine. List all the assumptions you have made (e.g. failure criterial, failure/repair interval
etc.) Hint2: Websites like http://reliabilityanalyticstoolkit.appspot.com/mechanical_reliability_data
and http://www.barringer1.com/wdbase.htm could be useful however you should also search
for more specific data. Put your findings in a table with references
3. Perform failure mode effects analysis (FMEA) on the same Ford motor engine. What is
the advantages and disadvantages of quantitative method like RBD over qualitative
method like FMEA?
Hint3: Review the FMEA method and perform the FMEA analysis on motor.
4. Propose a monitoring system (sensory- actuation system) that can be used to:
- Monitor system operational condition
- Prevent system/ sub-systems failure.
Describe in detail the main elements of the system. Use block diagrams to support your
Hint4: You have to think about an actuator to prevent failure.
Page 5 of 6
The Department’s Principles of Assessment will be used to determine grading levels.
1 Review the motor vehicle industry development, summarise the reliability
methodologies development and condition monitoring techniques in the
motor vehicle industry.
2 Look thought different online resources to find failure data for various
components of the Ford motor engine, and construct a reliability block
diagram (RBD) analysis for the motor engine.
3 Perform failure mode effects analysis (FMEA) on the same Ford motor
engine. List the advantages and disadvantages of quantitative method like
RBD over qualitative method like FMEA.
4 Propose a condition monitoring system (sensory - actuation system) that can
be used to monitor system operational state and prevent system/ sub-systems
failure. Describe in detail the main elements of the system. Use block
diagrams to support your discussion.
Tired of the boring assignments to be submitted to colleges and universities? MyAssignmentMart.com gives you multiple reasons to trust it with your orders. We employ PhD experts handpicked from prestigious universities over the globe. We cater to quality assignment help, dissertation writing services and online essay help, covering more than 100 academic subjects. We pledge to complete your assignments on time and never compromise when it comes to deadline. Our prices for assignments are the most competitive in the market and make sure the cost suits your budget.
Get Assignment Help Now...!
Subjects We Offer
- Engineering Assignment Help
- MATLAB Assignment Help
- Mechanical Engineering Assignment Help
- Civil Engineering Assignment Help
- Computer Science Assignment Help
- Electrical Engineering Assignment Help
- Electronics Assignment Help
- Economics Assignment Help
- Management Assignment Help
- Do My Assignment
- Cheap Assignment Help
- Programming Assignment Help
- Law Assignment Help
- Assignment Provider
- Finance Assignment Help
- Python Assignment help
- Healthcare Management Assignment Help
- Computer Network Assignment Help
- History Assignment Help
- Industrial Engineering Homework Help
- IT Management Assignment Help
- Nursing Assignment Help
- Operating System Assignment Help
- Statistics Assignment Help
- Material Science Assignment Help
- Mechanical Engineering Homework Help
- University Assignment Help
- Agriculture Engineering Homework Help
- ATHE Courses Assignment Help
- Capital Budgeting Assignment Help
- BTEC Assignment Help
- HND Assignment Help
- Material Science Assignment Help
- Psychology Assignment Help
- Resit Assignment Help
- Computer Architecture Assignment Help
- Data Structure Assignment Help
- Database Assignment Help
- PHP Assignment Help